A few important reminders as we close the 19-20 school year and start to ready the school for summer:
- Kindergarten registrations packets can be requested at the Kindergarten Distribution table or the front doors of the school this evening (May 21) from 3:00-7:00 or any day next week in bins by the front doors of the school. Packets should be returned to the school by Friday, May 29. Our office is open all next week from 8:30-1:00 each day for return and if you need copies made. A birth certificate, immunization record and proof of residency will need to be provided to complete registration and copies of these items can be made by office staff and returned to you while you wait. We will have a KINDERGARTEN ROUND UP IN AUGUST. You will be notified using the contact information provided with the registration materials.
- All devices borrowed from the school should be returned this evening (May 21) from 3:00-7:00 if you have not already done so. Kindergarten, 4th and Preschool will collect items on the north side of the school. Grades 2, 5, 6, and ASC will be located at their recess doors. Grade 1 will be at the west doors. Grade 3 will be on the south side of the school by the lunch delivery doors.
- Our office will be open on the last week of May from 8:30-1:00 Tuesday through Friday. Teachers will be involved in training/classes in preparation for the upcoming school year on that week.
- Summer office hours will be on Tuesday and Wednesday from 8:30-12:30.
- The first day of school for the 2020-21 school year is August 21. We will have an open house, prior to school starting, for students to visit with their teachers from this year and also meet their new teachers for the new school year. You will receive more information on that in August.
Thank you for your flexibility and support this school year. We have certainly made some interesting memories and learned a lot about technology and lesson delivery. We are anxious to have our school buzzing with the sound of CHILDREN again!!! We have missed them so much and look forward to returning to a busy happy school beginning in August.
Have a great summer,
Vickie Jessen, Principal
• April 27 -May 14 – Remote Learning continuation
• May 15 - Last day to submit assignments for grading.
• May 18 and 19–Faculty and Staff gather student items within the school for distribution.
• May 20 and 21 – Return and Distribute at the School (details below)
• May 22-29 – Teacher’s Wrap-up and participate in professional development and planning for the 2020-21 School year.
Return and Distribution Guidelines:
• Tolman Distribution dates/times:
o May 20- 9:00am to 11:30a.m. and 12:30pm to 3:00pm
o May 21 – 3:00pm to 7:00p.m.
• April 24-May 10: Parents will access the SEP scheduler (on MyDSD) to reserve a 10-minute time period with their child’s teacher to exchange devices and personal items.
• Please schedule your appointment(s) sooner rather than later. Those who do not schedule before May 9 will be assigned times. We will be working hard to get families all scheduled and manage the number of people at the school as well as address Health Department guidelines. Therefore, rescheduling an assigned time could be problematic. Each family should try to schedule one time period for all students in the family. Example below:
o If a family has three children at Tolman, all appointments could be scheduled at 10:30 with each of the children’s teachers.
o Parents can wait in the car while their child visits their teacher’s table, or park and accompany their child to meet with the teacher.
• Tables will be setup and appropriately distanced around the perimeter of the playground on the south side of the building. Large signs will designate grade level areas. A teacher and an assistant will be at each table (6 feet apart). Devices will be checked in by the assistant and the teacher will have the opportunity to greet each child and give him/her any personal items from the classroom.
• We are excited to have the opportunity to see our Tolman Students!! We will be working hard to stay within the 10 minute time allotted for each student (which is not enough for us) so we are
looking at some other ways that we can meet again (perhaps in August) with our students. More
information to come.
• All health Department guidelines will be followed (distancing, gloves, masks, etc.)
• In case of inclement weather, distribution will be inside the building and teachers will distribute by their
classroom door. Students will enter through their “recess doors” for distribution (except in the case of first
grade and they will enter through the west doors of the building). No one should enter through the front
doors of the school.
• Technology Devices should be brought back fully charged along with the power block and
charging cables. Hotspots should also be returned (if applicable). These items are turned in to the
support person, at the teacher’s table, prior to visiting with the teacher.
• A table for Library Book return, Lost and Found items and Kindergarten registration packets will also be
available during distribution and return activity.
Kindergarten Registration for 2020-21 School year:
• Packets will Kindergarten Registration Packets will be available beginning May 1 for pick-up at the school.
They will be in a bin at the front doors of the school. We will also have packets at the Return and
Distribution Event on May 20 and 21 for your convenience.
• Packets should be returned to the school by May 29. They can be left in the bin outside the front door.
• Birth Certificate, Immunization Record and Proof of Residency must be provided to complete
Registration. These items need to be photocopied by our office staff and can be brought to the school
front door Monday through Friday from 8:30-12:30. Ring the buzzer for assistance. Our office staff will
take those items, photo them, and deliver them to you while you wait. These items may also be brought
to our Kindergarten Round in August. A specific date is being decided and you will be notified using the
e-mail provided in Kindergarten Registration materials
Library Books and Materials:
• Library books can be returned to the school any day and placed in the bin near the front doors of the
• Books can also be returned at the Return and Distribution Event. A library cart will be set up to receive
books and a poster will identify the area for return.
Please call our office if you have any questions (801-402-1900) or I can be reached by e-mail at
Have a great weekend and I will see you soon!
Vickie Jessen, Principal